Ever since I was little I have loved baking and it seemed like almost every weekend that I was making a mess of some sort in my mum’s kitchen! I can’t say I’ve ever been that good at it because I cannot stick to a recipe to save my life! I decided the other day that I would like to make a pavlova but obviously, there was no way I could stick to a recipe so I decided to google a basic meringue recipe and go from there.
4 Egg Whites
250g Caster Sugar
300ml Double cream
- Preheat the oven to 150′ ( I used a fan oven so you may need to adjust according to your oven!)
- Whisk the egg whites in a large bowl with a handheld mixer until they stand in stiff peaks above the surface.
- Gradually add the sugar, 1 spoon at a time, whilst you continue to whisk.
- Add the vanilla and whisk for a final time, ensuring that your mixture is thick and glossy.
- Place a sheet of greaseproof paper onto a baking sheet and draw a large circle (I drew around a dinner plate)
- Use a spoon or spatula to spread the mixture into the circle. Try to put more mixture on the sides and less in the centre to make a dip in the middle to fill with cream later.
- Put the meringue in the oven for 1 hour (I checked mine every 15 minutes) once it is cooked, turn the oven off and leave the meringue inside to oven to cool down completely.
- Once the meringue is cooled, remove it from the oven and transfer to a plate.
- Pour all of the cream into a large bowl and whisk with a handheld mixer.
- Grate the zest of the lime and squeeze the juice of half of the lime into the bowl of cream and then continue to whisk the mixture until firm.
- Spoon the cream mixture into the centre of the pavlova base and spread it around.
- Chop up the strawberries however you would like and arrange them over the top of the cream.
If you try this recipe, please share it on Instagram and use the #aliceisanonymous because I would love to see it!