One thing that I have always loved to do but just never seem to find the time for is baking. When we were looking for a flat, it was so important to us to check out the kitchens because my boyfriend and I both love baking and we wanted somewhere that we could bake together and make memories.
My work are doing a trial month of longer shifts with a day off in the week so I was so excited to get a day to bake some cakes. I am really happy with how these lemon cupcakes came out and they were so yummy that I decided that I had to share them!
Ingredients (makes 9 cupcakes)
175g self-raising flour
175g caster sugar
3 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
100g white chocolate chips
For the icing:
150g softened salted butter
300g icing sugar
2 tbsp whole milk
A few drops of yellow food colour
1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 180 (I used a fan oven)
- Cream together the sugar and margarine until soft and combined.
- Crack the eggs into a separate bowl and mix quickly.
- Sift the flour into the sugar and margarine mix, adding the eggs as you mix.
- Add the vanilla extract and white chocolate chips and mix until smooth.
- Put one scoop of cupcake mix into each cupcake case and bake for 17 minutes or until golden brown.
- Leave the cupcakes to cool whilst you make the icing.
- Make the icing by mixing softened butter, icing sugar and milk together.
- Add the yellow colour and lemon juice and mix icing again
- Pour the icing into a piping bag and pipe a swirl onto each cupcake starting from the centre.
- Use a fine grater to zest the lemon over the top of the cupcakes.
I really enjoyed baking these cupcakes and they were so easy to make. If you try this recipe let me know and share them on Instagram using the #adventuringasalice – I would love to see them!